Tuesday, October 9, 2007


Work on the dome is under full swing. Removed all the panels from the outer dome and cleaned them up.

Here are all the pieces removed. The tabs and slag have been sanded off.

A close-up on the inner and outer dome. The outer dome still has a bit of slag that needs to be sanded off so it is sitting a little high on the outer dome.

And just for fun, here is the resin eye held up.

Monday, October 1, 2007

The guy in the brown shorts always brings the best stuff!

Got a package today at lunch. This is the one I have been waiting for the most since I started this project.

Here it is in all its aluminum glory. The 300mm Murrer dome! How beautiful is that! You can see the inner dome in the background.

Here is a close up of the outer dome.

Here is the inner and out dome.

Now I need to get the outer dome cleaned up and the inner dome cut to make room for the parts.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Droid factory in full swing!

So since I have NO room in my new apartment, I have moved the droid factor to my break room at work (with the bosses permission). It has more then enough room without getting in the way. Plus I can do work on him at lunch. Bonus!

Start dry fitting the legs last night. Here is the left leg. After looking online last night, I noticed that the six small holes in the ankle are now different in the new design...so I need to find a way to make the changes.

And here are all three legs. Now that I know how they go together, I can start to clean and glue all the pieces. Once that is done it is on to sanding and priming.

Did a quick skin line up to make sure everything is matching up. If that doesn't make you excited...I don't know what will.

Now that I have a good idea on how everything goes together, I need to start pre-drilling the frame. If I can get the frame glued and screwed before the dome shows up, I will be in pretty good shape.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Wow, that's a lot of parts!

With the move, work and any other excuse I can give...progress on R2 has been slow at best. I received all my A&A parts! Very exciting. And it looks like my dome will be arriving shortly.

Here is the A&A body frame as it stands now. No glue or screws yet, all just dry fit. My hat is off to the A&A guys for a great design!

Here are the A&A leg pieces. I plan on cleaning and starting to build those today at lunch.

Here are the shoulder pieces.

Here are the sheets for the skin. Two layers for both the front and the back. Still a ways off before I start touching those guys.

And some more pieces. So many it is hard to keep track of them all.

Monday, August 6, 2007

Midwest R2 Builders BBQ

So this Saturday was the annual Mid-West R2 Builders BBQ. I had a great time and learned a lot. Everyone there was very nice and was full of helpful hints.

Here are some pictures from the event. (note: Since I don't have a R2 built yet, I brought my tiny Interactive R2-D2 to the event. He can be seen in a few of the pictures.)

First parts arrived!

The first set of resin pieces arrived a few days ago...and I have to say, I am really impressed. The parts are all very well crafted. The next step is to clean, sand, clean again and paint. My dome looks like it might be out to me as soon as two weeks. Don't know when the body kit is due to arrive.

Here are a few pics of the parts.

Monday, July 30, 2007

Bring on the parts!

Well...still waiting for the first round of shipments to show up. Getting very excited to get this project underway. I ended up ordering a A&A Frame kit, which comes with the body and leg frames and the skin. I also ordered a aluminum dome which should be on its way soon. And tomorrow the resin parts I ordered for the dome and chest should be arriving at the office.

So I move in a couple weeks into the city. The seventh floor of a high rise....in the city. This presents a problem...no good work space. I think I might have to do my building after hours at work. Just need to get the bosses O.K. first.